Direto XR - resistance high after brake

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

wolly

Direto XR - resistance high after brake

Postby wolly » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:57 pm

Hello everyone!
I’ve problems with my new Direto XR with the resistance. After a short break on pedaling the resistance did not release.
The problem should be identical with:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2710
viewtopic.php?t=564

For training I use myEtraining, Rouvy and Zwift (latest version from each) on Android and Windows 10.
After stopping and restarting to pedal the resistance is very high, I can't turn barely the pedals. With the problem, there are sometimes strange noises.

Things that don't work (resistance does not release):
• restart Direto XR (unplug/plug from electricity)
• pedaling on unplugged Direto XR
• pedaling on plugged Direto XR without any program/app
• calibrate the Direto XR with myEtraining
(not possible - can't reach 25km/h)
• reconnect the Direto XR with Bluetooth or Ant+
• start a workout in erg mode
• start a workout in simulation mode

After doing the points above for many times, the resistance release and the strange noises has disappeared. Now calilbration is also possible.
With next break on pedaling the Problem is back again.

The only way to take a planned break or stop seems to shift to the easiest gear and pedal on for a while.

Yesterday (29.11.2020), with a break of 10 seconds while pedaling in Rouvy, it took an hour to get the Direto XR working again.

I bought the Direto XR on 12.10.2020.

The Android-App – Upgredo – does not show any new firmware.

Is there a way to reset the trainer or release the resistance completely?
Tool, other Firmware, workaround?

The trainer is currently not really usable.

Wolly

wolly

Re: Direto XR - resistance high after brake

Postby wolly » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:15 pm

Stepper motor thread must be damaged, device went back to the distributor.
service video from Elite https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_4_odhFmqXdSi1jVTdiZnFyT00/view

The service from mantel.com is great (https://www.mantel.com) - many thanks

Rixter

Postby Rixter » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:11 am

I have a similar problem occasionally when I start up with Rouvy. Haven't tried yet with Zwift. The resistance is so high, I can barely turn over the pedals. Once I get a bit of movement, the whole system seems to 'relax' and behave normally again. This only happens at the start of a Rouvy session

wolly

Postby wolly » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:23 pm

In my case, the resistance doesn't reset when you switch the DiretoXR off/on.
If the stepper motor moves when initializing, there are strong mechanical noises.
My problem also exists with myETraining, even after several minutes of pedaling.

I've sent several reports and videos to Elite through myETraining or as a response to a support mail from Elite.
It looks like only mails from myETraining are read.

Rixter

Postby Rixter » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Elite seems to take a long time to respond. :?

walter128

Postby walter128 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:34 pm

I also have this problem! in Rouvy workouts, starting or after a pause! will Elite please respond to this?

commercial3152

Postby commercial3152 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:26 pm

Bonjour,
Bon je vois que je ne suis pas seul. J'ai le même problème de blocage du frein de l'appareil.
Mais bon, seul le Service Après-Vente semble l'ignorer!!!

Plus d'explications:
Sur le mode Puissance, tout semble aller bien. Cadence pédalage, watts et fréquence cardiaque correspondent à peu près à mes standards sur route
Dès que je passe en mode Pente, en effectuant un entrainement programmé ou sur Vidéo, le frein est trop fort dès 0% de pente. A 1% c'est presque bloqué et dès 2% alors là faut envoyer des watts pas possibles. Donc impossible de gravir un col en visionnant une vidéo, alors que c'était mon objectif premier en achetant l'appareil.
Coté Service Après vente, n'en parlons pas, c'est plutôt léger: à part leur Email passe-partout en copier-coller à me dire sans arrêt d'upgrader la circonférence à 2070 avec fichier à l'appui, ce que je fais sans résoudre le problème, faut passer son chemin...
Question: Faut m'expliquer !!! En quoi upgrader la circonférence peut changer le problème si ca fonctionne bien en mode Puissance et très mal en mode Pente ????
Donc vous l'avez compris!!!! très déçu de mon achat. A éviter.

walter128

Postby walter128 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:04 pm

Dear All,
I decided to try and solve this issue myself after no support from Elite was forthcoming.
I am by no means an expert but I would like to share my experience as I did mange to achieve an improvement in the situation.

Basically this problem can be avoided in ERG mode (Rouvy Workout iOS App) by doing the following:

- do not start the workout on the app before starting pedalling (might be difficult if using a laptop to control the trainer) the app should be running and connected to trainer
- start pedalling in an easy gear, small ring in the front, cassette about the middle maybe one or two rings above (larger) and get a good high cadence going
- start the workout and remain in this gear, adjust watts/slope/FTP% in the app or follow your automatic erg programm as per usual
- as recommended in many other posts do your ERG mode workout just in this gear (small ring in front, middle towards easy gear at the back)
- if you need to pause your workout, pause the training session on the app, stop pedalling, let the trainer spin down fully
- when ready to restart, start pedalling (same gear ratio as above) get a good high cadence going
- continue the training on the app

I found with this method the almost impossible resistance from the trainer can be avoided, and your workout can be started and paused easily.

My unqualified theory is that, as mentioned in other forums concerning ERG mode, there is a bug where the trainer reports low cadence and the app immediately instructs a very high resistance to try to get the required Watts, in an easier gear its easier to get up to a high cadence quickly and avoid this plus if there is a resistance spike its easier to break through it quickly in an easy gear.

In simulation mode (Rouvy AR Routes etc.), before pausing, I would also recommend changing to the gear ratio mentioned above. starting doesnt seem to be an issue.

In summary, the key to avoiding the unbreakable resistance seems to be having a high cadence going and easy gear when starting or restarting!

hope this helps, Ride On!

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”