Problems setting up Directo XR

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

rowan.meyer

Problems setting up Directo XR

Postby rowan.meyer » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:09 pm

I'm new to interactive trainers and haven't ridden a bike in many years so a complete novice here. That said in the interest of improved health I have bought myself a TREK marlin 5 bike and a Directo XR. The problem seems to be the compatibility between the two and them working together.

When I mount the bike and position the chain on the gear sprocket all seems well. The moment start peddling and apply pressure the chain jumps teeth on the sprocket. any thoughts on what the problem could be. My thoughts below:-

1) Is the sprocket different between the bike and the Directo unit?
2) Is the chain too long and a few links must be removed to tension the chain propperly

Can anyone help to sort this out so that I can start training. Help with setting this up as I assumed it would function is much appreciated.

guiperpt

Re: Problems setting up Directo XR

Postby guiperpt » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi, welcome to the club.

Taking a look at the Marlin 5, your bike has a 7 speed cassette, and a 7 speed rear derailleur.

The chain which comes with the Directo XR is a 11-speed cassette, so clearly not compatible, and the skipping is more than expected.

Your best chance is to either buy a 7 speed or remove it from your rear wheel and try to assemble it on the trainer. You will need some tools for that. Not 100% sure, but for a 7-speed cassette to fit on an 11-speed hub, you might need 2 spacers, a 4.5mm and a 1.85mm.

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”